[Samba] Problem with samba on RHL

Paul Dudley pdudley at anl.com.au
Fri Aug 12 14:17:01 GMT 2005

We have a Red Hat linux 3.0 ES server.

I downloaded upgrades for this server from the Red Hat website and
installed them, including samba upgrades.

Now users cannot mount network drives from this server onto their PC's.

I upgraded to samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3 and users are now getting "system error
1326 has occurred - logon failure unknown username or password".

The previous version of samba on this server was samba-3.0.0-14.3E and
users authenticated using plain text password.

I found the rpms for samba-3.0.0-14.3E on a website

http://download.atrpms.net/mirrors/scientific/305/i386/errata/obsolete/R
PMS/

I downloaded them, stopped the samba service, uninstalled
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.3 then re-installed samba-3.0.0-14.3E and restarted the
samba service but I am still getting the same error.

Any ideas? Is it something to do with smbpasswd? We did not make use of
the smbpasswd with the previous installation of samba, users
authenticated using their linux server login and password. We have 300
users so I don't want to have to run smbpasswd for each account creating
a separate password for samba.

Paul Dudley

 <mailto:pdudley at anl.com.au> pdudley at anl.com.au