[Samba] Migrated fine except passwords

Kevin B kevin1a at varlog.net
Fri Aug 12 02:04:34 GMT 2005

> Kevin B wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> We couldn't connect to the server as any user from client PC's.
>> The smbldaptools were set to use SSHA encryption for password
>> attribute but phpldapadmin showed the passwords as CRYPT with only 8
>> chars for all users. I suspect the passwords never came over. In my
>> previous lab, the passwords migrated as SSHA encryption and worked
>> fine.
>
> You know that no POSIX passwd info will come over don't you?  To do that
> the
> samba passwd stuff would have to be cracked ond then put into SSHA or MD5
> format.  Which the tools don't do.  So you will only get the samba passwd
> and then if you are wanting to use other linux services that require POSIX
> passwords you will need to use some of the password sync option s in
> smb.conf.
>
> Cheers GS

Hello

I dodn't know that.
What I discovered later on was that when I originally migrated,
I had some errors getting groups to come over.
So I removed all of the .tdb and .dat files and deleted the ldap files
to start over with everything neat and tidy.
I fixed the errors and the migration looked perfect.
 What I didn't do was remove all of the users home directories.
 When I vampired the second time, I rec'd no errors but the uid mappings
 on the filesystem in were all messed up.
  I didn't see that untill a couple of hours later.
The effect of this was the user could see their home directory [so they
 did auth propery with CRYPT] but they could not connect to their own home
 directory as it was 'owned' by some other uid.  So I removed everything
including the /home directories and now they connect.
  I'm not sure why a password reset with SSHA did anything but it's all
good now running with CRYPT.

Thanks for the info and the prompt reply.

Kevin B