[Samba] Re: SuSE 9.3 + Samba 3 + LDAP

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Thu Aug 11 21:36:39 GMT 2005

Horst B. Simon schrieb:
| On Aug 11, 2005 10:35 AM, Geoffrey Scott <geoffs at guestshire.com> wrote:
|

|>Horst B. Simon wrote:
|>
|>>Hi All,
|>>
|>>I have OX with Samba 3 and Ldap working fine, except that workstation
|>>can not join the domain. When I try to join the domain I get
|>>following error message: The following error occurred attempting to
|>>join the domain. Can not find user name in Domain. But the user is
|>>there and it creates the computer in ou=computers in ldap. All users
|>>have no problems accessing the samba shares and using OX. Anyone in
|>>this group has successful joined a computer into ldap with OX and
|>>Samba3?
|>>
|>>Regards,
|>>Horst
|>
|>Horst,
|>Is the user either root account in LDAP or been given sepriveledges
|>as per chapter 5 of JHT example book? Does your smb.conf point to the
|>correct part of ldap for your users? Have nss and pam been configured
|>pointing correctly to where to the users are? Is the user that you are
|>trying actually in that part of LDAP? Eg. You aren't trying to use:
|>
|>cn=Manager,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au
|>
|>When your users are in :
|>
|>ou=Users,ou=OxObjects,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au
|>
|>Are you?
|>
|>Cheers Geoff
|>

| Hi Geoff,
|
| I am not near the box now, I think you are on the right track. I will
| post tonight the relevant parts of my ldap.conf and smb.conf. Yes my
| binddn is uid=Manager,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au and the user are in
| ou=Users,ou=OxObjects,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au. I tried to use the root
| user and I set up a administrator according
| to the information in the IDEALX document.
|
| Cheers,
| Horst

i had problems too with suse 9.3 too with ldap samba pdc, at last i
could fix it an now it works but only with the idealx tool versions
included in the samba sources , the newer directly downloaded ( from
idealx )higher versions did not work.
I was never able to find out the exact problems ( but i think it was
some kind of perl trouble ) never had this probs before suse versions
lower than 9.3
for more analysis what might gets you into trouble, look in your smb logs
Regards

- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards