[Samba] Shares get disconnected and cannot reconnect over VPN

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Mon Aug 8 17:12:02 GMT 2005

I reply to myself to add some information: I have think that I have traced
it  down  to  a  name  resolving issue. I don't know why but sometimes the
client  asks  the  wrong  WINS  server  (I  have  two:  one on the locally
connected  LAN an another one on the other side of the VPN) to resolve the
server's  name,  and  the request fails, then the client cannot connect to
the server until it retries the request to the right wins server.

I  have  tried  setting  an  entry in the client's LMHOSTS file, but still
sometimes it asks the wrong wins server.

Maybe  I  have  found  a workaround: if I use the IP address of the server
instead of the netbios name, the client never disconnects from the server,
even if idle.

Now   the  question  is:  why  if  I  use  the  netbios  name,  the client
disconnects  from  the server after about 8 minutes idle, and if I use the
IP address it never disconnects?

Maybe   this   is   a   win2000   issue   (as  a client) more than a Samba
issue...

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi