[Samba] Question about SSL/TLS for ldap and samba

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Mon Aug 8 09:17:59 GMT 2005

> What is the difference between LDAPs and ldapv3 start-tls ?

ldaps listens on port 636 and start-tls is used on the standard 389 ldap
port.

> I select the ldaps protocol in my smb.conf because I don't kown how
> samba manage certificate.

I would use:

ldap ssl = start_tls

> If samba can use a certficate, it's not a problem.  But I think that
> samba use the certificate used with openLDAP client.

Samba looks at the standard system ldap.conf, which is in
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf

You can tell OpenLDAP to only allow TLS connections via the "security"
setting.

See man slapd.conf

Gavin.

--