[Samba] one opinion about searching samba docs for answers

John Stile john at stilen.com
Fri Aug 5 21:13:07 GMT 2005

It sure is hard to find info in the documentation/mailing list for a
specific error.  If an error log message was created by smbd, nmbd, or
winbind, shouldn't the documentation contain a description, cause, and
possible solution?

Specific case in point:
          [2005/08/05 11:31:22, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(250)
          domain_master_node_status_fail:
          Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
          for workgroup MS at IP 192.168.40.20 failed.
          Cannot sync browser lists.

Searching the docs returned nothing for search strings:
   nmbd_browsesync
   domain_master_node_status_fail
   Cannot sync browser lists

The documents cover just about everything, except how to go from a log
message to the relevant areas of configuration.  On the other hand, the
documentation does a very good job of going from theory to high level
samba planning (with some configuration details).  Shouldn't the
documentation contain common error names, so that a search will direct
the reader to the proper place?

It might be nice if there was a good search-able mailing list archive at
samba.org, but the archive doesn't search well.  Maybe because too many
people abused the search tool because answers are not in the docs.

So I end up using an Internet Search Engine only to find many hits with
the same questions and no concise answers.

I might be the only own who feels this way, but I would love to know how
to fix it.  Every time I go through this, I have these thoughts.