[Samba] Q for folks using Samba with XFS

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 19:54:51 GMT 2005

On 4/30/05, Michael Lueck wrote:
> For several reasons we switched over to XFS, which is from what I have heard the favorite file system of the Samba project. Anyway, it has built-in backup / restore programs which I am trying to get
> working properly. No matter if I tell xfsdump to backup a directory which does or DOES NOT exist, it always complains that it does not exist. I just wondered if anyone ran into this error situation
> never and knew what the sharp spot is I am running up against. Here is one of the syntax's I have tried...
>
> xfsdump -e -F -f /ext_backup/cirlnx01/pdoxdata -L $STAMP"PDoxData" -l 0 -v 5 /srv/shares/pdoxdata/
>
> where /ext_backup/ is the mount point for an external USB/FireWire HDD cirlnx01 is a dir on the HDD, and pdoxdata would be a backup file. /srv/shares/ is a dir I create the Samba shares in, looking to
> backup the pdoxdata share. The specific error returned is as follows...
>
> xfsdump: ERROR: /srv/shares/pdoxdata/ does not identify a file system
>
> I would like to do a bit more verification that it is not bad syntax on my part, else I am tempted to flip the following bug report to a higher priority as for all I can see xfsdump is just plain
> broke which is not very useful at all!

I use Samba / XFS / xfsdump with SUSE 9.0 at the office, so I know it
works with the 2.4 kernel.

If I had to guess, your /srv/shares/pdoxdata directory is not a mount point.

xfsdump works on an entire filesystem/partition.  I don't think is
allows dumping of a directory tree.

ie. The last arg of xfsdump has to be a mount point to my knowledge.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group