[Samba] Roaming profiles in domain level

Li, Ying (ESG) ying.li2 at hp.com
Fri Apr 29 17:31:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

In my case, profile directory was already owned
by a domain user who has a local account for
Samba. I can see the profile directory can be
successfully opened and accessed from the log
file. The problem seems Samba handled security
descriptor request in different way with Windows.
For example:
1) security_desc response is different with Windows.
Flags:Canonicalized pathnames bit is not set. But
Windows did.
Flags2: unicode string bit, Error code type bit,
Security Signatures, Extended Attributes are not
set in Samba. But Windows did.
In Secruity Descriptor, Samba responsed owner ACL
and group ACL as well as NT User ACL. But Windows
only simply responsed a ACL only for owner.

2) incoming requests after NT_QUERY_SECERITY_DESC
request are different with Windows.
If profiles are stored in a Windows domain member,
incoming requests are close/NT_Create_AndXs/ReadAndXs
for loading a profile. If profiles are stored to
Samba. I only can see Close/Logoff/TreeDisconnect
Requests. No loading profiles requests occurred
from Windows client.

So my case doesn't looks like profile owner issue.
Could I ask you if you successfully use roaming
profiles in Samba domain level? Is it 2.2 or 3.0?

Thanks for your response.
-Ying