[Samba] Upgrading samba from Fedora RPM

Jean-Baptiste Estival jb.estival at shaktiware.fr
Thu Apr 21 07:37:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

We have a samba file server running on Fedora Core 1. I have installed
3.0.11 from RPM package for Fedora.
This release have some problems and I need to upgrade. Instead of usinf
RPM, I'd like to build samba myself from
the sourcecode. I already do that without problem but when installing
binaries, lib and config files, it uses default
installation directory (ie /usr/local/samba) instead of directory
structure of previous 3.0.11 RPM installation.
I look into packaging/Fedora/samba.spec to see ./configure options and
tried this :
./configure --prefix=/usr
                --localstatedir=/var
                --sysconfdir=/etc
                --with-privatedir=/etc/samba
                --enable-debug
                --with-quotas
                --with-ldapsam
                --with-smbmount
but after installbin, log.smbd (which is not located in the right
directory) says :

2005/04/19 10:38:54, 0] param/params.c:OpenConfFile(537)
  params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/usr/lib/smb.conf":
        No such file or directory

log.smbd is installed in /var instead of /var/log/samba (from RPM
installation).

Can anyone give me the right parameters for Fedora Core.

Thanks

Best Regards.
JiB.