[Samba] Problems with ADS membership with win2k domain

Eric S. Hvozda hvozda at ack.org
Sun Apr 17 21:02:56 GMT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:02:45 -0400  "Eric S. Hvozda" wrote:

> I knew to get to a fully functioning version I would need krb5 v1.3
> or later.  So finally I had an opertunity to junk RH's crufty krb5
> and build from scratch with:
>
> RHES v2.1
> MIT krb5 v1.4
> samba v3.0.13
>
> This works fine on another server.  Now to the problem:
>
> I can join the domain.  smbclient works flawlessly.  kinit(1) works
> fine.  However on another I try from a win2k client I get the
> authentication dialog box and keep getting in log.w.x.y.z:

Ok I was able to solve this.

Apparently even when building with an explict --with-krb5=/usr/local,
something still managed to use the libraries in /usr/kerberos/lib.

:-/

You can junk the libs on RHES v2.1 because a bunch of things depend
on them.  So my solution was to rename /usr/kerberos to /usr/kerberosX
and recompile samba.

I don't know whether to consider it a bug or a feechure that even
with the --with-krb5= option supplied to configure that either the
compiler, linker or configure gets the explict lib pick up wrong.

My problem is solved but just FYI on the behavior of --with-krb5= ...