[Samba] still ACL bug in 3.0.14a

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Apr 16 16:38:34 GMT 2005

Schaefer Jr, Thomas R. wrote:

>>Just making sure everyone knows before I get on the plane :-).
>>
>>You *must* have configured with --with-acl-support for this to
>>successfully work with ACLs on 3.0.14a.
>>
>>If you don't you get the symptoms you're reporting.
>>
>>Jeremy.
>>

>So the configure option seems to be "taking".  So, I tried it.  Guess what??  NO DIFFERENCE (I'm not shouting at anyone just shouting).  Like on the Solaris box, in the interest of saving time I had just done a reconfigure and recompile of the same source I had been using yesterday.  So, in the interest of being thorough, like on the Solaris box, I started over yet again, completely from scratch using a brand new extract of the samba distribution.  Still no dice.  After Jeremy's confidence yesterday I thought for sure it was going to work on the Linux box.
>
>I can hardly believe it.  I'm eagerly awaiting the results some of the rest of you get when configuring --with-acl-support and recompiling.

My extended acl filesystem is xfs.  Should be the same for ext2.  Maybe
it isn't.

The test case previously used looked similar to this:
[root at stor ghost]# getfacl document
# file: document
# owner: root
# group: root
user::---
user:sam:rwx
group::rw-
group:staff:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

Connect to share as user doug, group staff.  In a dos prompt it looks
like a read-only file (write bit on primary owner is clear)
X:\>attrib *.*
     R     X:\document

Can't delete read-only file in windows.
X:\>del document
X:\document
Access is denied.

Add to share "delete readonly = yes".

I don't know if this behavior is the same as prior versions or not.  I
only recently started using extended acl's and rarely have the write
permissions removed on the owner of the file.  It seems a reasonable
behavior.

Otherwise, chmod u+w so the primary owner has write capability, then it
works because it's no longer mapped as a read-only file.  Again, mapped
drive by user doug, group staff.
[root at stor ghost]# getfacl document
# file: document
# owner: root
# group: root
user::-w-
user:sam:rwx
group::r--
group:staff:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

X:\>attrib *.*
           X:\document

Now user doug, group staff  can delete the file from windows without
"delete readonly = yes".
This is with these defaults noted by testparm:
store dos attributes = No
dos filemode = No

Regards, Doug