[Samba] Samba Dynamic DNS DHCP , client won't register

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 10 02:21:28 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 17:38 +0200, Robert Becskei wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> just created a Dynamic DNS DHCP server, but my client info-2000256 wont
> register, or atleast It says registering with dns server
> but I'm not able to ping it by, info-2000256.domainname.co.yu , my configs
> are as follows :

Most of that looked a little garbled - it's not a Samba question, but
all I can do is suggest you read the DHCP manpage, and setup the correct
keys between the name server and dhcpd.  This is more secure than
allowing any host to perform the update unsecured.

> also once I got this thing working ok, I don't need wins anymore in a pure
> winxp win2000 win2003 (and 1 novell netware 5.x) enviroment ?

WINS is still required if you intend to host a PDC, as this performs an
NT4 emulation.  I suggest keeping WINS around in any case.

Andrew Bartlett