[Samba] Unix to SMB Password Sync using PAM

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Apr 8 08:50:17 GMT 2005

tor, 07.04.2005 kl. 19.35 skrev Charles
> I would like to configure PAM to sync Unix passwords to Samba passwords.
>   When I add a new Unix user or change an existing Unix user's password,
> I want the same password to be stored in /etc/smbpasswd.
>
> I'm trying to follow these instructions:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html#id2606200
>
> It sounds like this is what I want to do:
>   "A sample PAM configuration that shows the use of pam_smbpass to make
> sure private/smbpasswd is kept in sync when /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow) is
> changed."

[...]

> Then I rebooted and changed my Unix password using "passwd", but that
> didn't change my smbpassd.  I checked to make sure I have all of the
> needed PAM modules, but other than that I don't know what to look for.
> Am I missing something?  Any ideas?

This doesn't work for me either. Red Hat RHAS3, so I change things in
system-auth, not passwd.

However,  quick and dirty solution: 'mv /usr/bin/passwd
/usr/bin/passwd.orig', 'ln -s /usr/bin/smbpasswd /usr/bin/passwd'.

That works for me and even updates my LDAP database, as passwd does.
Every user that uses it *must* already be a Samba user, though - in LDAP
that means that he has to have a sambaSamAccount objectClass attribute
before it will work.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...