[Samba] Question about joining a Samba server to a 2000 domain

Mário Gamito lists at tuxdoit.com
Wed Apr 6 08:30:42 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have this Samba file server, that indeed is a client of a Windows 2000
Server PDC.

I am the Samba machine admin, but not the Windows one.

I have to join the Samba machine to the PDC on the 2000 server.

I ask the Windows 2000 server admin to come to my Samba machine and
insert his login and password to join my machine, but i always get the
same error (after my signature).

The Windows 2000 server uses Active Directory.

I tried:

# net join DTE -r SRV-DTE -U login_admin_w2000

(DTE is the domain name and SRV-DTE the Netbios name of the Windows 2000
Server PDC.)

What could be causing the error ?
I've done this in the past without any problem at all.

I've tried with RHEL's 4 Samba and with a compiled one (3.0.13).
Same thing.

Another question.:
In the moment of joining the Samba machine to the PDC on the Windows
2000 Server, the Samba daemons must be up or down (i've read
contraditory things about this issue) ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito
------------
[root at tux moreira]# net join DTE -r SRV-DTE -U foobar at foobar.pt
foobar at foobar.pt's password:
[2005/04/06 09:24:16, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(146)
   kerberos_kinit_password f481 at DTE.UA.PT failed: Cannot find KDC for
requested realm
[2005/04/06 09:24:16, 0] utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup(186)
   ads_connect: Cannot find KDC for requested realm
Could not connect to server SRV-DTE
The username or password was not correct.
[root at tux moreira]#