[Samba] Samba over ssh ?

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 05:12:10 GMT 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 23:34, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:25 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> > > The standard answer is to use a VPN.
> > >
> > > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> > Thanks. Would CIPE be an appropriate solution ? I am beginning to read up
> > on it. Does it work the following way :
> >
> > Linux Server : Samba (139,445) -- 22 -------- Internet -------- 22 --
> > Windows
>
> ----
> been a while since I used Cipe - I don't recall which ports it used but
> it surely wasn't the ssh port (22).
>
> would recommend against starting with it since you won't find it to be
> supported by many 2.6 distro's without a bunch of extra work.
>
> Suggest that you use openvpn
> openvpn.sourceforge.net
>
> Craig

Thanks for your suggestion. I have installed openvpn and the lzo library on
which it depends.

One nagging question that I still have is :

Does using openvpn (or any VPN solution in general) obviate the need to open
these vulnerable ports ? The little documentation that I have read so far
talk a lot about encryption. While that is important, I also need to think
about the ports (strangely, the firewall does not open any of those ports but
nmap -P0 run on the machine reveals that these ports are open :

139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds )

Anyways, another concern I have is that while I have the samba server up and
running and all my users are happy with it, how much disruption and user
effort can I expect when I implement openvpn ? Like typical windows users,
they value ease of use over security. Don't take me wrong, I will definitely
implement this if it contributes towards security, but I need to know this to
be able to tell my users what to expect.