[Samba] WINS names intermittently unregister after 5 days

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at nhs.net
Thu Sep 30 15:36:15 GMT 2004

Hi,

(I posted this question about 6 months ago and never really got anywhere
with it so I thought I'd try again.)

We're using Samba as a WINS server. Windows servers appear to correctly
register themselves and I can look them up e.g. with nmblookup.

However some servers lose their registration after 5 days. And it's the
same servers, about 4 (of about 25 servers and 200 workstations).

I can't find any similarity between these servers, there's one NT 4
server and 3 Win2000 servers with varying service packs. I can get the
names to re-register by restarting the server but this registration is
again lost after 5 days.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can suggest any tests to help
me troubleshoot?

(I realize this problem probably isn't Samba's fault but I can't find
any reference to this issue anywhere else).

Samba 3.0.4 on RedHat 9.0.

Thanks,

Leon...