[Samba] Re: Real-time file synchronisation

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Thu Sep 30 15:24:21 GMT 2004

> I'm looking for a method of doing the following, given that I'm taking care
> but I hardly think a 300 MB application with 15 MB (!!) executables (about 8
> of them) is really suitable for being "deployed" in that fashion.

rsync is available on both platforms and could be scripted in a bat
script.

Why don't you just set up an application share?  I run OpenOffice and MS
Office from a share that I have mapped to network drives on the clients.

Also, I think if you place the files in a directory on the Linux box and
then put links from each user directory to the application directory,
you can even avoid mapping drives. Perms/Ownership might get tricky
though. Should be safe, despite certain Samba bugs, since the link is
from the user's directory to an outside directory rather than vice versa.

Real time synchronization might be a good idea for a VFS module.  One
might even use something like that to get around having to set up
re-directed folders etc. Could be a nice way to fool Windows into
functioning a little more like NFS with less setup on the client side.

| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|