[Samba] Roaming Profiles:Samba PDC:WinXP:User must be local admin SOLVED

Awful Hack awfulhack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:34:13 GMT 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:45:17 -0700, Thomas M. Skeren III
<tms3 at fskklaw.com> wrote:
> Thanks Zach, but as this project moves forward, doing it the way you did
> for 100+ users would likely cause me to eat a bullet.  Paul's way may
> leave a glitch or too.  However maybe this would solve Awful Hack's
> problems.

As it happens, my problem (could log in and see Desktop folders, but
settings for IE and other programs kept reverting to defaults) was
caused by a duplicate account on my test box -- two Samba accounts
with the same name but different SIDs.  Needless to say, it caused a
few headaches.  :-)  (Sorry everyone -- I replied to Thomas directly
rather than CCing the list.)

BTW, what problems do you think might crop up with Paul's way?  I'll
probably have to do something like this shortly, and I'd like to know
what problems I might come across.

> >(1) Log in as a local administrator on one of the XP clients
> >(2) Create a temporary user, eg test_user1
> >(3) System Properties->Advanced->User Profiles:Settings button
> >(4) Choose the profile you're trying to migrate and click Copy To

Is there similar functionality anywhere in W2K Pro, or some other
series of steps that would work?

Awful Hack
awfulhack at gmail.com