[Samba] Puzzle -- Logon/Login from Windows XP

Holger Krull holger.krull at gmx.de
Wed Sep 29 10:19:28 GMT 2004

> So my question is, how can those 100 users logon to the Samba server from ANY
> workstation without having an account on the Windows XP workstation that
> matches their username/password on the Samba server?

Why don't you want to creat a domain?

> Isn't there a way to get the Samba server to ask for a username and password
> when the user clicks on the name of the Samba server in Explorer?

The server can't ask the user for another username/password. It is a
clients decision to ask the user for additional credentials. Unless you
find out what specific setting triggers explorer to ask (null session,
guest account settings or something, try ethereal) you are out of luck.

Maybe you write a script that mounts the shares with net use and give
the samba username with /user:name * to ask for the password.