[Samba] Getting Samba to ask for Username and Password

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 04:18:43 GMT 2004

Can somebody tell me how to get samba to ask me for a username and password
when I click on my Samba server in Windows XP Explorer?

When I click on another computer on the network (Workstation A) from a
workstation (Workstation B) where I'm NOT logged in with a username:password that
Workstation A recognizes as having an account, I get a dialog box asking me for
a username and password.

But when I click on the Samba server from a machine that doesn't have an
account on the Samba server, I just get a message saying "the resource can't be
found or I don't have permission to use it. Contact my administrator." Or
something like that.

How do I have to configure smb.conf to get the username:password dialog box?

Regards,
Andy Liebman