[Samba] Unable to map or view resources by name

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 16:30:25 GMT 2004

Jetkins at austinlogistics.com wrote:

> Christian Merrill <cmerrill at redhat.com> wrote on 09/23/2004 10:29:33 AM:
>
> > Sounds like you're running into either the kerberos compatibility
> errors
> > we see with win2k3 or the newest problem where people upgrade from
> > 3.0.6+ and then start encountering apparent kerberos failures in win2k
> > environments.  Do you see any "Failed to verify incoming ticket!"
> errors
> > in /var/log/samba files?
>
> Yes.  Per my original note:
>
> >> the drive mapping only works
> >> if I specify the share name with the server's IP address:
> >> \\10.1.200.114\share1.  If I try using the server's name -
> >> \\sambasvr\share1 - the authentication fails and I see the
> following in
> >> the corresponding client's log file on the server:
> >>
> >> [2004/09/22 13:23:15, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(173)
> >>   Failed to verify incoming ticket!
>
> The AD server is Win2k, not 2k3.  I have not tried this with a Samba
> version before3.0.6, as that is the version that came bundled.  Odd
> that it works fine if I specify the server address, but not the name -
> hopefully that will prove useful in identifying the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon Etkins
> IT Administration & Support
> Austin Logistics, Inc

By using the ip address you are bypassing kerberos and authenticating as
an older style NT machine which is why it works.  If you're running in
Mixed Mode a potential workaround would be to remove the realm parameter
and change security back to "domain" in smb.conf.  If you're not running
in Mixed Mode then I don't really have anything good to tell you :(.

Some RHEL3 customers running similar environments have reported that
they re-obtained functionality by downgrading to our 3.0.4 release -- of
course this release presents its own problems.  Other customers have
stated that downgrading did not solve anything for them.

Christian