[Samba] Upgrade Novell 4.11 to Samba 3.0.7 wisdom needed

DA Forsyth iwrTech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Wed Sep 22 09:17:15 GMT 2004

On 21 Sep 2004 , Misty Stanley-Jones entreated about
 "[Samba] Upgrade Novell 4.11 to Samba 3.0.7 wisdom":

} Has anybody done such a thing as this?  I'm looking to make this
} transition as smooth as possible.  I have the new fileserver up and

I'm busy replacing a Netware 3.12 box.... with FreeBSD 5.2.1 and
Samba 3.0.7

} running, and I'm using rsync to keep the Novell data current on the

3.12 won't do fancy stuff like that, and when I tried to use
mount_nwfs I rather successfully locked up the BSD box completely.
through several tries with different configs.  so I'll be
transferring data via a PC with mappings to both systems...

} Samba server.  Any words of advice on transferring the users and groups
} and permissions over to the new server in the least painful way
} possible?  I have some idea that Novell uses LDAP so that I should be

My system needs a makeover so I'm not transferring so much as re-
engineering, so can't help you much.   I'm creating new groups to
mirror some of the existing Novell groups, dropping some, and adding
others.  My big hurdle at the moment is figuring a way round the
sheer versatility I had on the Novell box....
ie, have a volume named 'graf'
a folder on that is assigned to software pacakge X users
another folder is assigned to software package Y users
drive mappings to the relevant folder are done via group membership.

and I can't think of a way to do that with Samba in a way that allos
X users to see only X, and Y users to see only Y, yet retaining a
singel drive letter for those who are in both groups....

} able do it somehow.  I don't want to screw this upgrade up, and any
} help would be appreciated.  I am hoping someone has already done it
} before and has written a Howto or something about it.

I'm thinking of putting it all down on paper when I've got it
working.... don't hold your breath, I suspect I'll be way too busy
for a while yet...

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research