[Samba] smbmount hanging

John H Terpstra jht at primastasys.com
Tue Sep 21 15:23:55 GMT 2004

Paul,

If you are mounting shares that are on a Windows machine onto the file system
of your Linux system then you are probably using smbfs - a Linux kernel file
system driver. smbfs is not Samba. smbmount is a front-end utility that
belongs to smbfs but shares some code with Samba. No-one on the Samba Team
maintains these tools, they are maintained by the smbfs maintainers.

Asking for help with smbfs on the Samba mailing list is a little like asking a
Ford dealership to handle a warranty complaint for a GM automobile.

smbfs is very old out-dated technology. cifsfs has replaced it in the Linux
2.6.x kernel. Suggest you look into cifsfs.

Sorry, I do not wish to be rude, but you should check into cifsfs - it is more
up to date compared with Samba-3.0.x.

Cheers,
John T.

--