[Samba] standalone file and print server inside SAMBA network problem

Braam Greyling braam.greyling at azoteq.com
Tue Sep 14 19:20:44 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have an existing Samba network consisting of a SAMBA PDC with win98
and XP clients (there is also some linux machines on the network
connecting via NIS/NFS.

Everything is running nicely.

Now I want to add a samba print server to the domain.
All this server needs to do is share a printer for the domain.

For some reason I cannot get this printer server to share anything.
Not even it's home directories.
I have tried various options, used testparm etc.

When I browse the network with a win98 machine and I go to the
printserver, it asks for a network password.
No matter what password you type in there is accepted.

Please help.

Specs:
Both servers running SuSE9.0 with Samba
With smbstatus on printserver I get

Samba version 2.2.8a-SuSE
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Here is the smb.conf from the printserver

# Networking configuration options
#  hosts allow = XXX.XXX.XXX.65/24
#  hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
#  bind interfaces only = yes

   workgroup = PRLWIN
   os level = 2
   time server = no
   unix extensions = Yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   map to guest = alluser
   socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
   wins support = yes
   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
   #security = domain
   server string = printserver
   netbios name = printserver
   #add user script =
   domain master = false
   domain logons = yes
   local master = yes
   interfaces = eth0
   preferred master = auto
   password server = XXX.XXX.XXX.66
;;   ldap server = 127.0.0.1

   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes

#[printers]
#   comment = All Printers
#   path = /var/spool/samba
#   public = yes
#   guest ok = yes
#   writable = yes
#   printable = yes
#   printer admin = root
#   browseable = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
#   valid users = %S
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0777
   directory mask = 0777
   guest ok = yes
   printable = yes

Here follows the PDC smb.conf (the ip is XXX.XXX.XXX.66

global]
   workgroup = PRLWIN
   security = domain
   encrypt passwords = yes
   server string = Samba Server
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false  %m$
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   os level = 85
;;   ldap server = 127.0.0.1

    # If you want Samba to act as a wins server, please set
    # 'wins support' to yes.
   wins support = yes

   netbios name = SAMBASERVER

    ; where to store user profiles?
   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u

    ; where is a user's home directory and where should it
    ; be mounted at?
   logon drive = Z:
   logon home = \\%L\%u
    ;logon home = \\homeserver\%u
    ; specify a generic logon script for all users
    ; this is a relative **DOS** path to the [netlogon] share
    ;logon script = logon.cmd
    ; necessary share for domain controller

    # This is a simple measure against Nimba Worm. Cf.
README.Win32-Viruses
   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes

[netlogon]