[Samba] machine account with w2k

Heinz Allerberger allerberger at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Sep 10 08:38:53 GMT 2004

High Brian,

what you wrote I tried in my first experiment.
I created the user domamdin like this:
# useradd -m -u 500 -G 0 domadmin
# pdbedit -a -U 500 -G 512 domadmin
The Unix-user "domadmin" had the uid = 500, the primary-group = 500
(like normal users), and was a member of the root-group = 0.

Whit this settings I was able to join my Samba-PDC with
Windows-NT4.0-Workstations well, when I manually created a
machine-account on the Samba. But when I tried to the same with a
Windows2000-Workstation, then I got a login prompt. Then I tried to give
in the domadmin with the password, the login-promt appeared again. It
was not possible to join my Samba-PDC with Windows2000-Workstations. I
tried different things until I read in the Samba-manual, that I should
join a Samba-Domain with the user Root. This is normally not possible,
because Root does not have an smb-account and im my smb.conf I have:
invalid users = root .
Yes, and because it was'nt successful with the user domadmin as member
of group 0, I tried the really not nice thing, that I gave the user
domadmin the uid 0, and this was successful.

Please could you tell me, what I did wrong? Please see for this the
documentation in my first mail, there are my smb.conf and the
user-profile from the domadmin.

By, Heinz.

Heinz Allerberger
Systemadministrator