[Samba] Re: CUPS Print Quality -- WAS -- UPDATE Where are the ADOBE PS Drivers?

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:38:08 GMT 2004

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:17:51 -0400, Sean E. Millichamp <sean at compu-aid.net>

> I would guess that there is probably at least some quality lost during
> that conversion and the resulting output would depend entirely on
> ghostscript's ability to translate (render) the Postscript generated by
> the driver on Windows into your printer's native tongue.

yeah - I am thinking this is the issue...

> If you didn't need to do the PS->(some other language) conversion on the
> CUPS server then I suspect you would see better resulting output.
> Trying to avoid this PS->(other) conversion step is one of the reasons
> why I generally only support PS capable printers.  You might want to
> look into adding Postscript support to your printers if it is available
> as an add-on option (assuming you don't want to continue to just use
> CUPS in raw mode - there really isn't anything "wrong" with that, it's
> just not how I'd like to have my system setup).

Can I ask a really basic question, that may help me get my hands
around this stuff...On the windows side the application prints using
the ADOBE (or whatever) Driver and the vendor specific PPD file.  It
then gets sent to cups which then does what??  Does the CUPS server
process it again before sending to the printer (assuming the printer
is postscript capable)?

The reason I ask, was that I thought (for some reason) that the CUPS
processing made the windows client driver independent - but if the
windows client uses the PPD - then I am thinking that I was mistaken

Thanks for your input