[Samba] Printing Problem

Richard Brenner richard.brenner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 09:51:09 GMT 2004

Hi there.

I have the following Problem (configuration follows):

I have configured Samba with 3 printers, 2 of them with direct
connection over TCP, because they are connected directly to the
internal network.

When I try to print on one of them, the printing application on a
Windows XP Professional client freezes and a Windows 2000 client
reports an error message,
that there is a problem with the printer. The other printers work fine
on both machines.

Two days ago, it worked without problems. The printer is a Minolta
Fiery X3e and on the web interface the status is "up and running".
Printing directly over the printer's Web Interface works.

Here is my configuration:
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike),
Samba 3.0.2
Printing with Cups

smb.conf:

[global]

   workgroup = OLYMP
   server string = MARS
  hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   print command = lp -c -d%p -oraw %s && rm %s && echo "Der
Druckauftrag von %m wird bearbeitet." | smbclient -M %m -U %p
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
 delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
 add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
 delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
 add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false \
 -d /dev/null %u
interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
   os level = 100
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   wins support = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   valid users= %S
   writable = yes
   force group=brenner
   path=/dataraid/homes/%S

 [netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   admin users=root,wolfgang
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

[Profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[artdirectory]
   comment = Alle Dateien hier hinein!
   path = /dataraid/global_data
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   write list = @ntadmins
   force group = ntadmins
   create mask = 777
   directory mask = 777

[backup]
   comment = Backup
   path = /backup/dvdbackup
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writeable = no

__________________________________--
cups printers.conf:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.17
# Written by cupsd on Son 05 Sep 2004 08:27:14 GMT
<DefaultPrinter designjet>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI socket://192.168.0.11:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer fiery>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI socket://192.168.0.10:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer HPLaserjet>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none