[Samba] file open problems

Erik Thiele erik at thiele-hydraulik.de
Fri Sep 3 14:09:00 GMT 2004

Hi. am running a samba server version 3.0.5 on a gentoo linux machine,
kernel 2.6.7-gentoo-r8.

the client is a windows XP machine.

the PDC is a windows NT 4.0 machine.

this is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = FOO
        hosts allow = 192.168.30.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
        local master = no
        log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
        os level = 0
        preferred master = no
        security = domain
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        wins server = ntserver.firm-internal
        password server = ntserver.firm-internal
        load printers = no
        domain master = no
        bind interfaces only = yes
        interfaces = eth0 lo

[tshare]
        comment = Test Share
        path = /tshare
        read only = no

the tshare directory is empty. i am logging into the XP machine as
"Administrator". it gets mapped to user root. i can verify that by
creating files with windows explorer and having a look at them on linux
server.

I am installing some proprietary commercial software we bought. it wants
to put some of its data on network. if i supply this network drive from
an empty share of my NT 4.0 server, all works. if i supply this network
drive from my linux server, many files get installed and after a while
he sais he cannot open a certain file on the network share. he asks if i
have enough free space (some gigabytes are free) or if i have enough
rights. that file has already been created by the setup program itself.
i can open it in windows explorer. i can write there, save, erase,
whatever. it works.

the whole issue seems to me to be some race condition. i had a running
printjob on the samba server over slow unoptimized parallel port, then
suddenly the setup ran through. but it seems not be reproducible. now
each time he stops on the same file.

please enlighten me about where the problem could be. the setup program
is a "Wise installation assistent", probably this should clarify what
kind of windows setup tool it is. I am not a windows expert.

if i erase all files on the network share prior to the next attempt to
run the setup tool, then the error will always be at the same file. but
if i instead do not erase the files, he will make an error on the first
file he wants to write to (which already exists from last setup). i
verified that it is the first file by watching with ethereal network
sniffer. he asks about information on the file, receives it, closes the
file and makes error box.

i tried to disable oplocks, and level2 locks. didn't change anything.

i tried to fiddle around with name mangling, didn't change anything.

help :)
Erik