[Samba] Printing help from Windows XP

Rohan Gilchrist rohan at e-mailme.org
Thu Sep 2 01:05:34 GMT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Herb Lewis wrote:

> What is the output of lpstat -t on your linux system?
> When you print from linux what command do you use?
>
> It looks like you are calling the printer the wrong name in
> your smb.conf file. It must match "exactly" one of the
> names returned by lpstat.

Herb,

Here's the output of lpstat -t

proxy[~]lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: lvl3-bw
members of class level3:
         lvl3-bw
members of class level4:
         hp-lvl4
device for hp-lvl4: ipp://10.19.1.31:631/
device for lvl3-bw: lpd://10.19.1.32/
hp-lvl4 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
lvl3-bw accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer hp-lvl4 now printing hp-lvl4-10.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
printer lvl3-bw is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
hp-lvl4-10              root             26624   Wed 01 Sep 2004 03:30:50 PM EST

After posting to the group, I figured that the printer name was not correct, and have
subsequently been able to print from Windows. One further problem has arisen though, and
that is it seems for Windows to take a long time to let me select the printer and then print,
resulting in the app appearing to not respond. Once the print job is sent, it is printed fine,
but it appears that printing to my users is "slow".

Any ideas?

Rohan Gilchrist
rohan at e-mailme.org
http://www.e-mailme.org/~rohan/
0412 648 909

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and
confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The
confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or
destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received
this e-mail in error you must:
(a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it;
(b) please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail; and
(c) please delete the original e-mail.

Except as required by law, we do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee
that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the
communication is free of errors, virus, interception, inference or
interference.