[Samba] Converting an LDAP server to use Samba 3

Andy Moran andy at wildbrain.com
Thu Oct 28 16:54:24 GMT 2004

I know this might not be the best place for this, but I'm hoping someone
else has done this or knows what I need to do.

We have a Linux LDAP Server (OpenLDAP 2.0.27) serving unix accounts to
Linux and OS X machines.  To get it to serve to OS X machines, I copied
over the 'apple.schema' from an OS X box.    Itr seems this schema file
depends on things defined in the Samba 2.x schema file (samba.schema)
because when it's present, it starts fine but when it doesn't, it
complains about undefinied symbols in the apple.schema file.

Now we'd love to create a Samba 3 ADS on a Linux box which pulls account
information from the same LDAP database.  According to documentation,
this requires we use a different samba.schema file in our OpenLDAP
server.  The new one has different definitions and causes the
apple.schema file to break.

Does anyone know how to have a Linux LDAP server which serves accounts
to both Linux, OS X machines and Samba 3?    I can't seem to find people
doing this online.

Thanks.

--Andy