[Samba] can't join domain / smbldap-useradd -w machine not working

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Oct 26 10:03:10 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Set in your nsswitch.conf file:
>
>     hosts: files wins dns
>

> Then see if the name resolution problem persists. If it does you need to
> clean up TCP/IP configuration.

This really helped with lengthy logon times, thanks (so not really the
topic of my post, but anyway)!

> Additionally, did you run the following?
>     smbldap-populate -a root
>
> Did you set the root password using the following?
>    smbldap-passwd root

OK, this also helped - Samba-3 by Example implies that you have to use
Administrator - after I tried to log to the domain using root, I was
almost there.
Almost, because I also had to do one change in my smb.conf:

add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%u'

change to:

add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%m'

(note the %m).

I don't know why this guys make so misleading and buggy books/HOWTOs -
even Samba-3 by Example, which is "official Samba publication" has these
two bugs I mentioned!

Tomek