[Samba] 3.0.7 name collision!

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 25 18:22:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:38:57PM -0400, William Jojo wrote:

> Still gathering data on this one, but it's easy to reproduce the case
> insensitive collision.
>

> AIX 5.2 Samba 3.0.7.
>
> in unix create two dirs on a user's [homes] share:
>
> CISS-102
> ciss-102
>
> put files from windows (I used XP sp1) into just one of them, then go and
> view the other. they have the same contents. on fresh smbd, if you start
> with the empty dir then both appear empty.
>
> When the student copied a file from one dir to the other in windows you
> get "file" plus "Copy of file" in both. Not good.
>
> I'll have more details posted when I'm done with class tonight as I am
> creating this in development so I can get a log level 10 for just one
> station.

Well you're violating the contract Samba has with the client here.
If you do this, and you leave Samba telling the client that you are
case insensitive but case preserving then you're lying to the client - there's
no way such a dual directory could be created from the client, so no
wonder things get confused.

What do you think should be the correct action here ?

Jeremy.