[Samba] Hide shares from some clients

Rafael Barbosa rafa at brlinkinfo.com.br
Mon Oct 25 09:45:17 GMT 2004

Hello people!

I need to do something, but I don't know if it's possible.

If you can help me, I'll be so happy! :-)

I have many shares in my samba server, and I control all the access to
them by user, with "valid users", and it works so fine.

But my manager wants more. He wants that I hide the shares that the
users don't have access.

For example, look to this share:

[Managers]
   comment = Diretorio Restrito
   path = /shares/controle
   read only = no
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0775
   create directory mode = 0775
   valid users = paschoal janaina deise

Only the users paschoal, janaina and deise can read and write in this
share.

My manager wants that I hide it (and some others shares), and only the
users paschoal, janaina and deise see it in the "My Network Places", on
Windows. The other users don't.

How can I do this????

I know about "browseable = no", so it's hide the share to all users, and
I can't do this.

Thanks !!

Rafael Barbosa