[Samba] Looking for large-ish deployment advice

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Wed Oct 13 18:07:49 GMT 2004

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 01:00 pm, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Another list member suggested using individual logon scripts, and as far
> as I can tell at this point, that is the only solution that will work.

Hi Quentin,

If it were me, I'd get a copy of Samba3 By Example and look at some of the
suggested LDAP installations for inspiration. Chapters 6 and 7 will be most
helpful I expect.

Specifically, I might set up a Samba/LDAP Master in the main building, and
Samba/LDAP slaves in each of the other buildings. The Samba/LDAP master will
be your PDC and the Samba/LDAP slaves will be your BDCs. They will replicate
in the background.

If you can organize which (few) buildings students roam in, you could set up
separate network segments for each of those "roaming zones", and have roaming
profiles limited to those "zones". This may not fit your physical network
topology however.

Keep in mind, that if everyone is pulling their files from the main building's
NT4 servers now, your peak WAN traffic should actually decrease with
distributed BDCs. This is because replication takes place in the background,
so users will mostly be pulling from the user directories from their local
BDC. Again, by using network segments (and/or traffic shaping) you can force
this behavior.

Hope this is helpful,
Mark

A Message From...  L. Mark Stone