[Samba] time server directive and synchronizing Win XP clients

Jonathan Salomon jsalomon at science.uva.nl
Wed Oct 13 10:28:08 GMT 2004

Hi all!

I have configured a Samba PDC (3.0.7) on a Fedora Core 2 machine with LDAP
authentication (conform http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html). I
have about 180 Windows XP Pro clients using this PDC to log onto the
domain, which works great!

However I seem to have trouble synchronizing the time on the clients to
the time on the server. The users (in group Domain Users) do not have
permissions to change the time on the clients and therefore 'net time /set
/yes' in the netlogon will result in an error, as will 'w32tm /sync'.

According to an earlier post to this list I found on Google
(http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+pdc+samba+%22time+server+%22&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2004&as_maxd=13&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2004&selm=1Fo2I-86r-5%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=1)
if the Win XP Pro clients are part of the domain (like in my case) they
should automatically synch the time with the PDC if it runs a NTP service.
This is exactly what I want, because in my opinion the time sych is
something that is related to domain membership and not to domain logins
(as with 'net time'). I have tried enabling an NTP service on the PDC and
setting 'time server =yes' in smb.conf, but unfortunately the time on the
clients still doesn't work.

What am I missing here and could someone confirm behaviour described in
above mentioned posting? If this is not the the is there another way to
achieve what I want? I'd rather not manually grant Domain Users time
setting priviledges on 180 clients.

Thanks a lot!
Jonathan