[Samba] Samba's ADS security mode on Sun Solaris

Melfi.Marcello at hydro.qc.ca Melfi.Marcello at hydro.qc.ca
Tue Oct 12 19:54:31 GMT 2004

Hi John,

I managed to compile Samba 3.0.7, along with MIT Kerberos 1.3.5 and OpenLDAP
2.2.17.

I am using the ADS security mode in the smb.conf file. The AD server is
Windows Server 2000.

As described in the How-To Samba doc, I ran the "kinit USERNAME at REALM"
command first. Then, I added the Samba machine to the Windows Server with
the "net ads join -U Administrator%password" command.

When I run the klist command, I get the following output:

***********
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: <USERNAME at REALM>

10/08/04 15:57:48  10/09/04 01:59:26  krbtgt/<REALM>@<REALM>
        renew until 10/09/04 15:57:48

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached
***********

Is it OK or should I see more, i.e. not just the TGT ticket?

After starting Samba (i.e. the smbd and nmbd processes), I tried to map a
Samba share from a Windows workstation. On that workstation, I am logged in
with a user already defined in the AD server.

The first try (i.e. after a reboot of the workstation so that the cache is
cleared) never works! At that point, a window opens and I have to provide
the username/password information and then it works. It looks like the
password is not OK the first time (I did the map from a Windows CMD console
to get the error msg)... When I look at the samba log for that workstation,
I have the following error messages:

***********
[2004/10/08 17:31:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)
  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
[2004/10/08 17:31:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(430)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2004/10/08 17:31:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(455)
  write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 24: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[2004/10/08 17:31:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(647)
  Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Broken pipe)

When the share is established, it is working OK.

Do you have any ideas here?

Regards,

Marcello Melfi