[Samba] wbinfo -a always failing with NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Jeremy Naylor jnaylor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:24:02 GMT 2004

Hello!

Please help!  I have been googling and experimenting for the past few
days, but I can't get user authentications to work with my AD domain.

Fedora Core 2 running Samba 3.0.7-2.FC2
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

After much fuss, I was able to get it to join the domain (had to
disable client signing).
"wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" both work fine, and I can see the user I'm
trying to authenticate with.  "wbinfo -a user%pass" always gives me:

# wbinfo -a user%pass
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (0xc000006a)
error messsage was: Wrong Password
Could not authenticate user user%pass with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (0xc000006a)
error messsage was: Wrong Password
Could not authenticate user user with challenge/response

It eventually locks out the account.  I've tried multiple accounts,
and even creating a new account with the same results.  Trying with a
bogus user gives me NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064).

I think I've read every how-to out there on this, and searched every
forum I can find.  I am at a loss.  Can someone give me an idea of
what settings I can play with that would affect this?  Or what to look
for in a debug?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jeremy