[Samba] Server not responding after Samba upgrade

David Ferreira dferreira at izanet.com
Fri Oct 1 11:55:24 GMT 2004

Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I used to run Samba 2.2.9 on Debian Woody. Yesterday I upgraded it (with
>all necessary packages) to 3.0.7. Since then, Samba on that server do
>not respond to netbios queries, only to direct access via IP. Also,
>when I try to resolv its name using nmblookup, I cannot find it.
>
>When I access to server via IP address everything works fine.
>
>Any idea ?
>TIA

That problem almost drive me wild.

I had a problem with White Box EL 3 (RHEL3 in fact) when I upgraded it
to 3.0.6, the problem was about kerberos tickets. The enviroment was a
2000 SP2 hybird PDC and linux machine was just a member.
I tried recently with version 3.0.7 wich the RPM package from
samba.org, what was suposed to solve that problem, but still failed.
Solution, Downgrade to original distro samba version. 3.0.0. Now
everything working right. If you don't want a downgrade, and the PDC is
working in hybrid mode, just try RPC join to the domain, not ADS.  Good
luck, and better if you provide more info about your enviroment and your
samba configuration.

Greetings,

David Ferreira