[Samba] Domain authentication failing after a period of time

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Tue Nov 30 21:31:44 GMT 2004

I didn't see that the "1c" server wasn't being queried until after 15
minutes (thanks to Jeremy for taking hold of my hand and pointing this out
- I will never, EVER get my head wrapped around Windows browsing and why
that isn't queried until fifteen minutes after I join the domain). It
turned out that I was able to alert my Windows admin brethren to a problem
wherein one of their domain controller had a "tombstone" for their "logon
server (1c)" records, and so were not responding properly.

One final note - though I hadn't had it before, during the course of some
testing, I put in a second domain controller that did have the 1c entries,
and that didn't help the situation, i.e. only the first "wins server"
parameter entry seems to get queried for the DOMAIN#1C servers. I don't
know if this is a bug or the expected behavior, but I thought I would
mention it as part of the final wrap-up.

Thanks again to Jeremy for picking up my calls for help and pointing out
the flaw in my investigation.

			Bill Knox
			Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation