[Samba] Cann't get Windows XP system to find Samba printers

Jeff wd4nmq at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 20:42:45 GMT 2004

I have a Brothre HL-1440 laser on my Linux system I wish to share. But,
I can not get the Windows system to "see" it. I already have disk shares
That the windows system can access, so something is working Here is my
entries in smb.conf
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   security = share
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   create mode = 0700
   guest only = yes
   use client driver = yes
   guest account = smbprint
   path = /home/smbprint

in cups.conf
<Location /printers>
#
# You may wish to limit access to printers and classes, either with Allow
# and Deny lines, or by requiring a username and password.
#
 AuthType None
 Order Deny,Allow
 Deny From None
 Allow From All
</Location>

mine.convs
application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

mime.types
application/octet-stream

But, when I try to add a network printer on the XP system it lists the
network and the name of the Linux system. But, no printers under the
Linux system.

Running cups adminisration shows the printer named 1440 and ready for jobs.

What else do I need to do?

tj