[Samba] Re: A little help with nss_ldap - User xxx in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Fri Nov 26 19:05:07 GMT 2004

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Friday 26 November 2004 11:19, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>>Of all howtos etc. I made through, I was only able to setup Samba + LDAP
>>using Samba Guide (chapter 6, Making users happy) - it has the smallest
>>number of bugs - without correcting them (like %m needed instead of %u),
>>running Samba + LDAP would be impossible.
>

> I guess you are absolutely certain that the use of %u in the "add machine
> script" is a bug. Please file a bug report on bugzilla.samba.org with a
> reproducible test case to prove that this is a bug.

I don't know.

For me it didn't work with %u, I spent hours trying to figure out what's
wrong.
Then I found a post of someone who just changed %u to %m and everything
began to work (there was a longer discussion about it in / after this post).
When I changed %u to %m - adding machines began to work.
Switched back to %u - not working. Switched to %m again - works.

> If it is a bug then we MUST fix it, and then I will update the documentation
> also.

Maybe it's just a bug that just happens on certain distributions?

> At this time, in my test environment, using %u (not %m) works perfectly as I
> have documented it. If this does not work in your environment please help me
> to see why. At this time I can not reproduce your problem and thus I fear
> that your advice is misleading.

And for me %m works, %u not (SuSE 9.1 packages; I don't like SuSE anyway :)

So, assuming that I file a bug, what does it change? For you and several
others (I guess most) it is working with %u, so it won't be confirmed.
Or maybe I have to give a temporary shell access to some of the
developers to convince them? :)

> Given that one of us is wrong, let's get to the bottom of the problem and fix
> it.

Yeah, Samba should be working with the same settings in the same way, no
matter on what distribution / platform it is running.

I got lots of gray hair when I compared how hard it is to establish
Samba + OpenLDAP, and then MS solutions, even with "official" documentation.

Tomek