[Samba] Samba 3.0, LDAP, OUs and how to add machine accounts

Stefan Froehlich samba at Froehlich.Priv.at
Thu Nov 25 10:40:18 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have a Samba 3.0/LDAP setup with

| ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

but as this is for a school, I decided to separate teachers and scholars
computers into different sub-OUs for my own mental sanity. So in LDAP it
looks like:

| dn: uid=pc116$,ou=Schueler,ou=Computers,dc=lise-meitner,dc=at

or

| dn: uid=biblio1$,ou=Lehrer,ou=Computers,dc=lise-meitner,dc=at

This works absolutely perfect and allows me to do nice things in terms
of DHCP- and DNS-automization. The only thing I don't like is that

| # pdbedit -a -m -u pc117

creates an account for a new computer in the OU "computers" (which is
what it should do, of course). There seems to be no command line
parameter to change that. Is there _any_ way, to modify the OU for a new
entry, instead of using the one given in smb.conf? At the moment I
copy/paste new entries to get them into the right OU, which is not the
thing I want to do in the long run.

Bye,
  Stefan

--
Kontaktanzeigen fuer Oesterreich - kostenlos und unkommerziell
http://kontaktinser.at/