[Samba] upgrading print server from 2.2.8a to 3.0.8 - more info

Scott McCallum mccallum at wi.mit.edu
Wed Nov 24 12:31:41 GMT 2004

Here's what I sent yesterday, more info follows:
> Hello.  I'm having a bit of trouble with my upgrade.  I installed 3.0.8
> over a copy of the 2.2.8a directory, and when I went to start it up, got
> errors about accessing the secrets.tdb.  I was able to use tdbdump to
> access it and created one in the new format using tdbtool, but then it's
> also unable to access other old-format tdb files, most notably ntdrivers
> and ntprinters.  The only reference I can find to dealing with tdb files
> during an upgrade is that samba3 will automatically upgrade old format
> tdb files as it needs them, but that doesn't appear to be happenning for
> me.  I'm hoping to avoid having to reinstall all the drivers and
> reassociate them with the printers.  Is there a tool around to upgrade
> tdb file formats?  Am I starting with too old of a version?
>
> I can't start up 3.0.8 right now because the machine is in production
> with 2.2.8a, but I can tinker with it tomorrow morning to get some log
> entries if anyone needs to see them.

Log entries from samba3 startup:

tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba308/var/locks/share_info.tdb): tdb_lock spinlock
failed on list 103 ltype=1

tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba308/var/locks/share_info.tdb): tdb_lock spinlock
failed on list 103 ltype=0

tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba308/var/locks/share_info.tdb): tdb_lock spinlock
failed on list 0 ltype=1

tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba308/var/locks/share_info.tdb): tdb_lock spinlock
failed on list 103 ltype=1

tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
  tdb(/usr/local/samba308/var/locks/share_info.tdb): tdb_unlock: count
is 0

... and then it lists the same set of messages for ntprinters.tdb, and
again for each of those two files any time samba attempts to access
them.

--
Scott McCallum
Sr. Unix Administrator

quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur