[Samba] vampire fails because of Debian smbldap-tools problem

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Wed Nov 24 04:52:27 GMT 2004

> > BTW i use tgz version of smbldap-tools on debian, they are more
> > up-to-date, and aparently better packaged.
> >

> OK so I gave up on the .DEB version and downloaded the .tgz version.  I
> put
> the scripts in /usr/sbin/samba.  I copied the 2 .conf files into
> /etc/smbldap-tools/ and just to be sure that I didn't get any typos I used
> the configure.pl script that comes with the tgz file.  It seems to run
> fine
> and produce 2 good .conf files.  It does output this part way through
> though:
>
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at /usr/sbin/samba/configure.pl
> line138, <STDIN> line 17.
> Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /usr/sbin/samba/configure.pl
> line140, <STDIN> line 17.
> /usr/sbin/samba/configure.pl line 144, <STDIN> line 17.
> Use of uninitialized value in string at /usr/sbin/samba/configure.pl line
> 145, <STDIN> line 17.
>
> Then when you Vampire accounts this happens:
>
> Fetching DOMAIN database
> SAM_DELTA_DOMAIN_INFO not handled
> Creating unix group: 'Domain Admins'
> Creating unix group: 'Domain Users'
> Creating unix group: 'Domain Guests'
<snip>

> Creating unix group: 'QLD Consultants'
> Creating account: administrator
> Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at
> /usr/sbin/samba/smbldap-useradd line 168, <DATA> line 283.
> Could not create posix account info for 'administrator'
> Creating account: deloitte
> Can't call method "get_value" on an undefined value at

I thought that I would give it another go.  This time just adding a user
with smbldap-useradd only. The error that I got back was that the group gid
513 didn't exist.  I did a slapcat and looked for the domain users and the
gid was like 10001 or something   the reason for this was that I had
followed chapter 8 of JHT's example book and it doesn't explicitly state in
that chapter where you follow on from chapter 6.  If you use the smbldap
tools they set the domain users gid to 513 and the default group of your
users to the domain users.  So if you follow chapter 8 don't just use the
preload.ldif and then follow that up with a vampire off the NT server, you
probably want to use smbldap-populate after you join the domain and before
you vampire accounts, as it will create the Domain Users group with gid 513,
the same as is the default for the smbldap scripts.

I hope this helps other people.

Regards Geoff