[Samba] libldap is needed for LDAP support

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Nov 12 16:37:11 GMT 2004

>./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --sysconfdir=/etc/sfw --with-smbwrapper
>--with-acl-support --with-ldap --with-ldapsam --with-ads --with-krb5=/usr/lib/krb5

I'd suggest against putting it in /usr/sfw, as that's where sun puts a
group of software that looks suspiciously like sunfreeware.com but
obviously isn't installed where they put it.  But it's your system, hack
it as you please.

>I get this with the Sun ldap libraries (which I asummme are OpenLDAP by
>anonther name)

Incorrect.  Sun's ldap is from the Sun ONE suite which is a branch of
Netscape's DS from way back, which I've heard shares heritage with
OpenLDAP, but that's not close enough.

Have you done anything to set your environment to look for libldap?
Check the output of crle to see if /usr/local/lib is in there, which it
isn't by default.  Also make sure your shell environment is set for the
directories.  I usually do all of the following, which is quite possibly
overkill, but I think I've needed them all on different varieties of
Slowarse.

export FLAGS=-I/opt/openldap/include
export CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openldap/include
export LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openldap/lib
export CFLAGS="-I/opt/openldap/include"

You should be able to note that I put my openldap in /opt/openldap instead.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322