[Samba] MS User Manager Permission Denied

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Fri Nov 12 15:46:10 GMT 2004

Greetings everyone!

For starters, I'm still on the uphill side of the samba learning curve
so bare with me.  I've just setup a test network in my office to see how
well I can replace a windows PDC with a samba solution (Mostly via
"Samba 3 by Example"). I do, however, have one issue that I can't seem
to figure out no matter how many hours I spend reading the archive
threads.  The problem seems to be tied to  permissions but I don't know
where to look to correct the issue.

So for things are very simple.  Smbpasswd with matching unix accounts. I
followed permissions as instructed in chapter 3 and set up groups
accordingly.  I downloaded SVRTOOLS.EXE from microsoft to see if I could
create users from the user manager and everything seems to be there
(users, groups..etc.) but I get "Access is denied" errors trying to add
any information with the user manager on a Win2k machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I'm using Samba 3.0.7

Thanks

Jim