[Samba] Slow login/out with XP and SAMBA PDC?

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Thu Nov 11 14:08:39 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 13:19, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > I thought the profile copy was smart and only copied files that had
> > changed? What can I do improve this performance?
>
> Maybe theoretically, but we've seen it 'stupid' on frequent occasions.
> Really best just to redirect the My Documents short cut to a real share
> (such as a home directory) that doesn't have to get copied all over the
> place.

Along this same note ... I am pondering the implications of mapping certain
parts of the profile (My Documents, maybe My Pictures) to a network drive.
But I think this won't work for my truly roaming users (laptop users).  Do
any of you redirect the profile directories based on membership of, say, a
'laptop' group or some such thing?  I know that I can write registry keys
based on group membership with Kixtart.  Or am I wrong and laptops won't have
a problem with it?  If a laptop user saves a file in "My Documents" they will
expect to have access to the file even when offline.  Thoughts?  I would just
like to know how you all generally handle it.

Misty