[Samba] Roaming Profiles

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue Nov 9 16:50:33 GMT 2004

Joe,

Given how many MS Windows sites use roaming profiles it is safe to say that it
is stable enough.

Do you mean is Samba stable enough? Well again, we have a huge number of
users, I'd say it is.

OK. So if you mean does Samba handle profile in a stable manner? Samba does
not handle profiles - the Windows client does. The windows client reads the
users' profile from the profile share and writes it back on logout.

I have set up hundreds of sites that use roaming profiles with a Samba domain
controller - so far none have had any problems. That does not means that
problems do not exist, but if they do the users have not noticed them or are
too reluctant to report them. I'll leave that to your interpretation.

Pitfalls? Well, if you follow Chapter 6 of the Samba-3 By Example book and you
have a problem I'll help you to solve it - so far as the problem is capable
of being solved.

Oh, if you do not want to buy the book - download it for free from
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Cheers,
John T.

--