[Samba] installing printer in a logon script

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Tue Nov 9 12:20:22 GMT 2004

Paul Gienger wrote:

>> 1) printer is installed *fully* automatically - no end-user user
>> interaction,
>> 2) as admin can reach Samba and only Samba remotely (and only
>> remotely), there can be no walking to a workstation and adding a
>> printer from there.
>>
>> To sum up:
>>
>> a) admin knows what printer do they have in these remote offices,
>> b) admin copies drivers to samba remotely, changes some logon scripts
>> - and users of that remote office have printer drivers installed.
>>
> I'm going to reiterate one more time that it doesn't appear that
> you're doing this properly, and then shoot myself.
>
> You need to, as admin, *install* the printer on the samba server by
> the methods that have been listed in this thread several times.  DO
> NOT simply copy the drivers to some random share on the server and
> then point the client to them.  Here is my login script snippet that
> works fine on every workstation I've ever seen that has the printer
> drivers installed properly on the server.  Some newish versions of
> samba require me to put the ip, hopefully that will be fixed.  The
> first one sets the driver, the second sets the default printer.
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj /r
> \\10.2.0.2\hplj /m "HP LaserJet 5000 Series PS "
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /z /n \\10.2.0.2\hplj

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't know how to do this under program
control.  Now that I have search words, all sorts of things turn up.
I've been advertizing them in AD and telling users to search for
printers and pick it by name.

It's clear to me what you're saying :-) .  The admin has to install the
printer drivers into samba first before spoolss can work.

Regards, Doug