[Samba] Slow printing / print properties with CUPS and Samba NOTsort-of-solved

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Mon Nov 8 19:24:42 GMT 2004

For those keeping score:  I've decided to just have the
client machines connect directly to CUPS via IPP instead
of having them print through Samba.  I kept trying but
the best I could do was speed up printing for half an
hour or so on some machines & then the problem would come
back.  Printing via IPP is significantly faster and I
have not yet run into any incompatibilities in any of
our applications (I didn't expect to, but you never know.)

The only issue I've had so far is that the jobs stay
in the job list for a long time.  They do go away
eventually, but my users *think* the jobs are still
waiting to print, but they've already printed.

I see that 3.0.8 is out now and has various fixes for spoolss
so I may try installing that when an update becomes available
in yum for WBEL.

--J(K)

Jason Balicki <> wrote:
> John H Terpstra <mailto:jht at Samba.Org> wrote:
>> Lessons like this are hard earned, and therefore worth documenting.
>> Please communicate with me when you are refreshed. Let's see what we
>> can do to better document this. I'm with you in this.
>
> John,
>
> Looks like I jumped the gun.  Everything was fine when I
> left last night, but I connected this morning remotely
> to take care of a backup issue and checked the printers
> on a whim -- they have reverted to what they were doing
> before.
[snip]